From sunny surf beaches to spectacular national parks, the Golden State has plenty on offer for visitors. With the world’s tallest trees, magical theme parks and dramatic landscapes, it is no wonder that California attracts millions of visitors from all over the globe.
Find the sailing stones scattered around the scenic dry lake in Death Valley. These mysterious rocks leave trails of movement, yet no one has ever seen them actually move. A team of scientists has studied this geological phenomenon and determined that winter ice flows and strong winter winds are responsible for the movement of the rocks. The stones slide across the playa surface up to five meters per minute.
Check out the tracks to see how the rocks have rolled across this exceptionally flat ground. The rough gravel road to Racetrack Playa is passable with non-4WD vehicles but requires high ground clearance and all-terrain tires.
Photo: Dorota Olender
How to get there:
Take a look at the flight deals to California:
- Fly from Italy to Los Angeles, California from just €344 >>
- Denmark to Los Angeles from only €271 >>
- Stockholm to Los Angeles for just €246 >>
- Business Class: Summer flights from Gothenburg to San Francisco for just €1291 >>
- Non-stop from Barcelona to Oakland (San Francisco) and vice versa for only €245 >>
- Berlin to San Jose, California from just €287 >>
- Denver to Los Angeles and vice versa for only $67 >>
- Non-stop from Denver to Los Angeles and vice-versa from $80 with checked bag included >>
- Non-stop from Orlando to Los Angeles and vice-versa for only $112 >>
- Non-stop from Chicago to Los Angeles and vice versa for $92 >>
- Non-stop from Washington to San Francisco and vice versa for only $99 >>
- Non-stop from San Francisco to Long Beach and vice-versa for only $54 >>
- Fly between Chicago and San Diego for only $96 >>
- Experience the Island Hopper from Shanghai to Los Angeles for only $408 >>
- Non-stop from Hong Kong to Los Angeles for only $435 >>
- XMAS and NYE! Fly from Manila to Los Angeles, USA for only $374 >>
- 5* Hainan: Beijing or Guangzhou to San Jose, California from only $372 >>
- East Coast Australia to Los Angeles from only AU$697 >>
Where to stay:
In Los Angeles, we encourage you to stay at Knights Inn Los Angeles Central with good reviews. This motel features rooms with free Wi-Fi. It serves a daily continental breakfast. Free indoor parking is provided to guests. A cable TV is included in each air-conditioned guest room at Knights Inn. For convenience, the guest rooms include a work desk, a refrigerator and a coffee maker. Ironing facilities are also available. Guests can enjoy a meal at the off-site restaurant, Park’s Finest. Central Los Angeles is just 1.6 km away and Los Angeles Convention Center is 4.8 km away from this property. Museum of Contemporary Art is 5 minutes’ drive away. Universal Studios is 12.9 km away.
In San Francisco we recommend you to book Travel Inn with good reviews. This property is 12-minute walk from the beach. Located in the fashionable Marina District of San Francisco, this motel offers free parking and guest rooms with free WiFi. Guest rooms at the Travel Inn are equipped with cable TV and a coffee machine with free coffee. This apartment is cooled by fresh air from open windows. Travel Inn’s staff can arrange airport shuttle services or sightseeing tours of San Francisco, Alcatraz and other Bay Area attractions. Ghirardelli Square and Union Street shopping and dining are 1.6 km from Travel Inn. Fisherman’s Wharf is less than 3 km away. The San Francisco Art Institute is 5 minutes’ drive away.
What to do:
Enjoy the outdoor attractions in the numerous national parks. Go to the Point Lobos State Natural Reserve that contains a number of hiking trails and beaches. It is an unparalleled local recreational scuba diving destination and a magnet for nature lovers. Escape to the serenity of the reserve and enjoy its fascinating wildlife.
Ride up and over Mt. San Jacinto State Park in the world’s largest rotating tram car on the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, along the breathtaking cliffs of Chino Canyon.
Check out the Glass Beach in MacKerricher State Park. It is abundant in sea glass created from years of dumping garbage into an area of coastline near the northern part of Fort Bragg.
The island of Santa Catalina is a popular destination with boaters or day trippers. Camping, swimming, deep-sea fishing, kayaking, and diving are some of the main attractions of the island.
Lake Tahoe is a playground for boaters and beach goers. The Sugar Bowl Ski Area in the surrounding mountains offers some excellent terrain for winter sports.
Explore the unusual Devils Postpile rock formation. Visit the Rainbow Falls, a waterfall on the Middle Fork of the San Joaquin River.
While in San Jose you can go to the Lick Observatory on Mt. Hamilton, Children’s discovery museum and San Jose Flea Market. Go to Campo di Bocce – one of the most unique venues for fine Italian dining and entertainment in Silicon Valley.
Discover top theme parks in California: Disneyland, Universal Studios, Warner Bros Studios, Seaworld San Diego, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Legoland, and Monterey Bay Aquarium.
In San Diego you will find 70 miles of coast and an inviting ocean. This southernmost stretch of the state, with a year-round daily forecast of 70°F, is all about outdoor fun. Enjoy world-class golf, culture and art. Don’t miss out the USS Midway Museum, San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park.
For more Destinations Fly4free click here >>>