Famous for its paradise coral lagoons, white sand beaches and pristine natural environment, the Polynesian Triangle boasts up of over 1,000 islands scattered over the central and southern Pacific Ocean. From holiday paradise like Bora Bora and Tahiti to unique cultural heritage of Hawaii and Easter Island, it is easy to see why this splendid and distant region of the world is so desirable for travellers.
Do you feel like getting impressed? Head to remote and mystic Easter Island, famous for its giant stone carvings (Moai). It can be reached by plane from Santiago, Chile. This Chilean island, located at the southeasternmost point of the Polynesian Triangle, is one of the most enigmatic places on Earth due to its cultural heritage, protected by UNESCO.
Exploring the mysterious statues in one of the most isolated places in the world definitely provides an adventure of a lifetime. Huge monolithic figures, carved by the Rapa Nui people between the 13th and 16th centuries, attract scientists as well as tourists. Easter Island features two white sand beaches: Anakena and Ovahe. It also hosts extensive cave systems. Most caves on the island are found near Ana Kakenga. At the end of January you can join the Tapati Festival celebrating local customs.
Photo credit: marktucan, Shutterstock
How to get there:
Take a look at the flight deals to Polynesia:
- Non-stop from California to Hawaii from only $339 >>
- Fly from California to exotic and remote Samoa from $1248! 2 in 1 with Hawaii for $1303! >>
- Round The World from London for £850! Cyprus, Lebanon, Qatar, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, New Zealand, Hawaii and California >>
- Round the World from London for £803! India, Japan, USA (Hawaii) and Canada >>
- From the UK to splendid Tahiti from £929 >>
- London to mega exotic and remote Cook Islands for £868 >>
- Scotland to Hawaii for only £355 >>
- Non-stop flights from Vancouver to Hawaii for only $309/ C$394 >>
- X-mas and New Year! Tokyo to Honolulu, Hawaii for only $405 >>
- Non-stop from Seoul to Honolulu, Hawaii for only $452 >>
- Non-stop from Toronto to Hawaii for only $423/C$537 >>
- Dubai to Los Angeles or Hawaii from just $608 >>
- XMAS&NYE: Round the World from London for £984! Spain, California, Hawaii, Japan, China, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand >>
- Round the World from London for £863! Bulgaria, Dubai, Nepal, Malaysia, Japan, Hawaii, California >>
- Non-stop from Los Angeles to Tahiti from $969 >>
- XMAS & NEW YEAR: 5* Cathay Pacific flights from Belgrade to paradisiacal Fiji from €757 >>
- XMAS & NEW YEAR: 5* Cathay Pacific flights from Ljubljana or Sofia to remote and exotic Fiji from €691 >>
- MEGA EXOTIC! Bali, Australia, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea and Netherlands in one trip from Riga from €950! Add Fiji from €1140! >>
Where to stay:
In Samoa we recommend you to book 4* Tanoa Tusitala Hotel with excellent reviews. Set on 15 acres of tropical gardens, this 4-star hotel offers air-conditioned rooms just 400 m from Apia’s waterfront. Each room includes a spacious bathroom, cable TV and a patio or balcony. Facilities at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel Samoa include an outdoor swimming pool, children’s wading pool, gym and a tennis court. Reception and room service are available 24 hours a day. Each room includes a separate dressing room, refrigerator and tea/coffee making facilities. Suites with large living area are available.
In Honolulu, Hawaii we recommend you to book 3* Ala Moana Hotel with good reviews. This property is a 9-minute walk from the beach. It features 3 restaurants and a nightclub. Free Wi-Fi is included in all guest rooms. Featuring ocean and city skyline views, each guest room includes a flat-screen cable TV. A small refrigerator is also provided for guest convenience. A swimming pool and fitness center are available for guest relaxation. Waikiki Beach is within a 5-minute drive of Honolulu Ala Moana Hotel.
What to do:
Polynesia promises a number of attractions and activities. Amazing beaches and resorts are perfect for those in search of a relaxing vacation. There are also numerous undiscovered and uninhabited islands that can be reached and explored by boat.
Most of the activities are aquatic and provide great opportunities to bathe, scuba dive and even shark-feeding dives. Enjoy snorkelling and swimming in warm, shallow water. Join a full-day lagoon excursion to snorkel and free dive in otherwise inaccessible spots. Watch tropical fish and multi-coloured corals. Surfers can ride glassy wave faces at reef passes. Bora Bora’s lagoon is a prime destination for kite surfers.
If you like sailing, you should head to Vava’u, Tonga – a common destination for yachters.
In Vanuatu you should go to Champagne Beach, located on the island of Espiritu Santo. It got its interesting name thanks to the volcanic activity below the clear water: the gas that escapes from volcanic rocks becomes bubbles looking like fizzy champagne.
Polynesia is a popular destination to get married and spend your honeymoon.
Eco tourism has been developed on the Polynesian islands. They provide numerous activities like hiking in lush forests and watching tropical birds during nature & wildlife tours. Short, easy walks are available in the mountainous interiors. You can also swim with sea turtles in a protected lagoon and watch babies being cared for under the guidance of a conservationist.
Explore the rich and diverse Polynesian culture and get a deeper understanding of local customs. Enjoy an entertaining coconut tree climb, visit to the Polynesian villages and Polynesian hula dance show. In July, you can join the hugely popular Heiva, French Polynesia’s premier festival, which is held in Vaitape, Bora Bora.
If you think you can take the pain, you can get a traditional Polynesian tattoo.
In Tahiti, visitors are provided with a spectacular range of activities: from spa treatments to island tours, shark feeding and private picnic on uninhabited islets. Try 4×4 tours filled with cultural and historical facts.
For more Destinations Fly4free click here >>>