Get ready to explore Europe by joining DiscoverEU
InterRail is giving 20000 free tickets for the next summer! All young Europeans turning 18 this year can receive DiscoverEU Passes to travel across Europe!
The European Commission set aside €12 million to give EU 18-year-olds free Interrail tickets for 2020. Many young citizens may benefit from this opportunity to travel across Europe on almost any train. The free ticket programme seeks to offer young people, regardless of social or educational background and including people with reduced mobility, a chance to travel abroad.
With this pass you can travel free of charge by train (and sometimes also by bus or ferry) through European countries from April to October. In exceptional cases, and when no other transport means are available, travel by plane will be permitted. This will ensure that young people living in remote areas or on islands also have a chance to take part.
It is important that we offer all our young people the opportunity to broaden their horizons by experiencing other countries. Education is not only about what we learn in the classroom, but what we discover about the cultures and traditions of our fellow Europeans, said Tibor Navracsics, Commissioner for Education, Culture, Youth and Sport.
Who can apply for free Interrail tickets?
You can only apply if you:
- have been born between 1 January 2001 (included) and 31 December 2001 (included)
- have the nationality of one of the 28 Member States of the European Union;
- fill in your ID or passport number on the online application form;
- start your journey in one of the EU 28 Member States;
- if you are selected, you can travel for a period of minimum 1 day and up to 30 days between 1 April 2020 and 31 October 2020
- plan to travel between 1 day and up to 30 days inclusive;
- plan to travel to at least 1 and up to 4 foreign country destinations within the EU;
- are willing to become a DiscoverEU Ambassador.
How to get a travel pass for next summer:
- You can apply as an individual or as a group of maximum 5 people.
- If you meet the criteria, then you can apply via the online registration tool.
- Respond to a quiz on EU cultural heritage, European Parliament elections and Youth.
- The application round will be open online from Thursday 7 November 2019 at 12:00 (CET) and Thursday 28 November 2019 at 12:00 (CET)
- Between Wednesday 8 January 2020 and Thursday 23 January 2020, all applicants will receive a notification via email
- Motivation to visit at least one European Cultural Heritage site.
- Reporting on their travel experiences on social media and making their pictures available for the DiscoverEU anniversary photo exhibition at the European Parliament.
Main photo: Shutterstock
Copyrighted 2020 by Los Internetos sp. z o.o. sp. k. Please be aware that this article and whole website is copyrighted. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of the publisher