InterRail is giving 15000 free tickets for the summer! All young Europeans turning 18 this year can receive DiscoverEU Passes to travel across Europe!
The European Commission set aside €12 million to give EU 18-year-olds free Interrail tickets for 2018. Many young citizens may benefit from this opportunity to travel across Europe on almost any train. The free ticket programme seeks to offer young people, regardless of social or educational background and including people with reduced mobility, a chance to travel abroad.
With this pass you can travel free of charge by train (and sometimes also by bus or ferry) through European countries from July to September. In exceptional cases, and when no other transport means are available, travel by plane will be permitted. This will ensure that young people living in remote areas or on islands also have a chance to take part.
It is important that we offer all our young people the opportunity to broaden their horizons by experiencing other countries. Education is not only about what we learn in the classroom, but what we discover about the cultures and traditions of our fellow Europeans, said Tibor Navracsics, Commissioner for Education, Culture, Youth and Sport.
Who can apply for free Interrail tickets?
You can only apply if you:
- are 18 years old on 1 July 2018 (born between 2 July 1999 and 1 July 2000 included);
- have the nationality of one of the 28 Member States of the European Union;
- fill in your ID or passport number on the online application form;
- start your journey in one of the EU 28 Member States;
- plan to start your travel between 9 July and 30 September 2018;
- plan to travel between 1 day and up to 30 days inclusive;
- plan to travel to at least 1 and up to 4 foreign country destinations within the EU;
- are willing to become a DiscoverEU Ambassador.
How to get a travel pass for this summer:
- You can apply as an individual or as a group of maximum 5 people.
- If you meet the criteria, then you can apply via the online registration tool.
- Respond to a quiz on EU cultural heritage, European Parliament elections and Youth.
- The application round will be open online from 12 June at 12:00 (CEST) to 26 June 2018 at 12:00 (CEST).
- Selection, by a jury of European Commission officials, will start on June 27.
- Winners will be notified in early July via email.
- Motivation to visit at least one European Cultural Heritage site.
- Reporting on their travel experiences on social media and making their pictures available for the DiscoverEU anniversary photo exhibition at the European Parliament.